"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

sherry...

During my stopover in Winnipeg on Day Two of my cross-country train trip, I wandered over to The Forks Marketplace, almost by accident. After going for a lovely run along the river, I only had about 15-20 minutes left before boarding again.

I stopped by a shop called Generation Green; I was attracted by a series of funny and witty cards on the counter. The woman at the cash commented on my "what are you grateful for?" t-shirt... and a wonderful conversation ensued!

Turns out Sherry is the owner of the shop. And her answer to the question was simple: her health.


Having been without her health at one time in her life, she had been lead to make different choices for herself. She was now able to recognize that she was grateful for those difficult times. In fact, her shop - with its focus on helping people make healthy choices for themselves and for the planet - was a direct result of her experience. Without the one, the other would not exist.

Turns out Sherry and I are the same age and we also share an acceptance and an excitement about being healthy and active as we age. Bring on the 50s! (But not for a couple of years still... :-)) She, too, dreams of a solo journey to places unknown to her and is determined to make it happen.

I really enjoyed chatting with Sherry and was sorry to pull myself away. We agreed we could probably have talked all afternoon! She happily took some of *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful* cards (small cards and blank postcards) and promised to scatter them in her shop for customers to find.

If you are ever in Winnipeg, check out The Forks and be sure to stop by Generation Green and say Hi to Sherry! I know I will...

gratefully yours,
jag

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment