"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Thursday, July 4, 2013

paolo...

I met Paolo at the end of our first full day on the train. He pointed at my "what are you grateful for?" t-shirt: i love it!, he said.

me: well, what would you answer?!
he: oh my god, do you have half a day??
me: i have no where else i need to be!

But he was busy with other passengers (he is one of the amazing VIA Rail crew members) so I said I'd stop by again later.

And I did. Later in the evening as we ventured towards the sunset. There was no one else around, so I asked him:

What are you grateful for?

Turns out he had been thinking about it since our earlier conversation. The answers came spilling out. And since I wasn't taking notes, I did my best to pay attention. And to remember. He listed:

My mom.
My god-source.
My angels.
My gifts.
This train.
The people on the train.
THIS (as he pointed out to a beautiful sunset)!


I love how Paolo talked about his work on the train. He observed that the train ride was most often a metaphor for a deeper journey that people were on. As an attendant in the "bar car", he had been privileged to hear many stories. He understood that his role was to be fully present to do "the work" of listening and receiving. He understood that he had a gift of healing energy and that this was where he needed to be.

Paolo immediately embraced the idea of *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful*. He commented on my energy ("your aura is very clear") - the second person to do so in the same day. He wanted to help, so he took several small cards and blank postcards and promised to drop them off at his holistic health centre in Winnipeg.

I can't believe I didn't take a picture of Paolo.

I didn't see him again, as the crew changed the next morning in Winnipeg. I am grateful for this conversation and smile as I think of Paolo continuing his healing work as he rides the rails across this beautiful country.

gratefully yours,
jag

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: