"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Friday, March 8, 2013

gratitude - what's it to you?

In this first in a series of "friday features", I bring to you... gratitude: wikipedia-style!

I found it interesting to see what Wikipedia had to say about "gratitude".  They spend very little time defining it, and focus more on exploring the benefits of gratitude from a psychological perspective.  They also explore the connection to spirituality:

"The link between spirituality and gratitude has recently become a popular subject of study. While these two characteristics are certainly not dependent on each other, studies have found that spirituality is capable of enhancing a person’s ability to be grateful and therefore, those who regularly attend religious services or engage in religious activities are more likely to have a greater sense of gratitude in all areas of life."

My personal definition of gratitude has certainly evolved over the years. And I have no doubt it will continue to do so. Today, gratitude is a stance... it is a perspective from which I am called to view the experiences of my life. I sometimes refer to it as a "lens through which I see the world". It is a spiritual practice where I choose to accept and receive my experiences as pure gift... as grace.  For sure, there are days when I am not at all grounded in that stance... The lens is well beyond my reach, and my perception of events or people takes on that "wtf?!" attitude. Luckily, gratitude is just a breath away (OK, maybe 5 or 6 breaths :-))...

What about you? Gratitude - what's it to you??

gratefully yours,
jag

No comments:

Post a Comment