"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes." - Dag Hammarskjold

Friday, November 29, 2013

the gratitude project assignment :: o'dane... evan...

Our ongoing series of essays from Grade 8 students from Broadview Public School here in Ottawa.  I had the pleasure of meeting with Ms. Viner and Ms. Krochmalnek's classes just before our Canadian Thanksgiving, to talk to them about *the gratitude project: dare to be grateful*. (Read more about that here.) Students were then given an assignment to interview a friend or family member about what they were grateful for, and to submit a short essay based on that interview.   I will be publishing a selection of these essays here on the blog over the next couple of weeks.  You will want to read these.  Seriously. These kids rock.

(Read Julia's essay here and Minseong and Judy's essays here.)

Now, introducing O'Dane and Evan...


Interviewer:  O’Dane
Interviewee:  My dad

I chose to interview my dad because he’s been in my life since i was born, i chose to do my dad because he has an interesting background that I’ve never heard before. An interesting fact about my dad is that he was a deep sea fisherman before he migrated to Canada.

Question:
What person are you most grateful for?

My dad chose his grandmother because when he was born, he was born in her hands, in her house.

Another reason he chose his grandmother that he is most grateful for is because she raised him from just a baby to an adult.
The last reason why he chose his grandmother is that she is very loving and kind, she was always be loving and kind to everyone she knew in every way possible.

I can relate to this because both my parents have done the same with me except the adult part yet. Both my parents are loving and caring and want to help in any way possible and have raised me till now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Interviewer:  Evan B.
Interviewee: David B.
I’ve known this person since I was born because he is my dad.
I thought it was a good idea to interview my dad because I wanted to know what he is most grateful for. My dad has been collecting bikes since the early 80’s and has a large collection of current and vintage bicycles.

Question: 
What life experience are you most grateful for?

Answer:
My dad is most grateful to have discovered cycling at a young age. Cycling has been the mechanism that has enabled many different positive aspects of his life.

He always enjoyed riding bikes when he was young and this led him to try racing and that in turn taught him about training, nutrition and how to be a bicycle mechanic.

My dad has travelled to many places all over the world because of different races he has travelled to. He has met many people from different countries because of cycling.


Conclusion:
Personally I’ve always liked riding my bike and it’s a great form of transportation cause you get a great workout from it and you can ride with your friends, also when you start riding it introduces you to a great community.

No comments:

Post a Comment